Saturday, September 20, 2003

Yesterday I had things to say, but I fell asleep and didn't post. So, yesterday. I walked Kobe in the oscillating weather, I had crests of dry sunshine and troughs of tropical storm rain. Kobe seemed happy to walk today, strange as last time she wouldn't budge from the garage. Uhm, yeah. I haven't figured that creature out yet. Anyway, I was soaked, I could have jumped in a lake with all my clothes on and come out looking more dry. Took a couple more pictures of people on our floor, but then the memory card filled up so that quickly had to stop last night... I've been emailing Mom lots, a bear was poached near our house and Mer found the body... maybe legal action will be taken?

Anyway, more on yesterday. I ate lunch at Blanchard, Yelling Girl was there and seemed embarrassed -- she avoided me. I sat facing her table and when she walked by I looked her in the eye and smiled at her. She looked away. I saw Beth and Korisha right afterwards, they were not convinced that she is in any way reformed of her bullying ways.

I subbed for someone in the mail center, they didn't want me at parcel pick-up. Apparently I was not a legitimate substitute, the person who asked me should have gone through the mail center and found someone with some experience I think. But they put me to work anyway, I stuffed mail boxes for a couple of hours. The woman, Bernice, had to initiate me into the ways of the mail room. "I don't let my girls wear those [pointing at my flip flops] but you didn't know so it's ok." "The numbers wrap around from here, check that the name matches, that's the most important thing. And always, always put mail in under the name." Discovered that most all off campus mail is misdirected. Not a comforting thought. As I was leaving she invited me to come back next Friday at 12:30.

I had dinner with Liz and D. Becky at Wilder, it was better than average food. After walking to the Delles I had to lie down I was so full. I went to the comedy night and sat with someone from our dinner, she thought I was Jewish (a common misconception with me). Anyway, I saw her again today, we've made up. I suppose we bonded over the comedy. We had Jennifer Ann M something ski (a common misconception with her is that she's Polish, she's actually Irish), Jen Matos (MHC alum, teaching English at a nearby high school), a guy from Umass (lots of smoking jokes and cursing, very funny), and then, drumroll, Liz Braun's husband. Uhm, mistake? He imitated a coffee house clown. He put on a black beret and a red clown nose. He made balloon animals and popped them. He tried to act like a yuppy and it didn't work. It wasn't even funny that he thought he was actually being funny, it was just plain sad that he was so... not funny.

Anyway, back in the dorm. On duty was quiet again. Had a talk with one person on the floor, productive, very. No wild parties, thank you Pearson ladies. Yes, let's all go to the Rockies if we want to party...

Today... strange. Had a talk with Henry and continued with Sons and Lovers. Must keep reading. I will update later, I think. As long as this dance thing tonight proves worthy of noting.

No comments: