Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Today was kind of tough. Maybe that's because I'm at the end of it and it's late and I get sentimental when it's late... Anyway. I woke up with a sore throat again & it was drizzling and bleak outside, and on top of that I had to emerge early and go to another Orientation gathering. I didn't even go to these when I was a first year, for heaven's sake. I read "our poem" in front of the whole auditorium and people actually said I read well (ha! never would have guessed I could do that when I was in middle school). So see, a high point. Well, here's the scary point of the day. Julia & I were taking the bus to Amherst to meet up with everyone for dinner, and we had, uhm, an encounter with a she-devil. Here it is, so next time someone asks us what happened, we can direct him/her here:

So we're sitting toward the back of the bus, talking about Hampshire college & Jimmy Fallon & Queer Eye & etc etc, when we pull up to the Hampshire College bus stop. Some gals we talked to at the bus stop are in front of us, and some others to our left in front of us, too. One of the girls from the latter group (you'll see why I say "girl" instead of "woman" in a few minutes) stands up & says quite loudly (basically yells) "Oh, there's Yasmine, I LOVE Yasmine! I'm SO glad she's getting on the bus!" So Julia says "wow" quietly and we have a little laugh. To "distract" said yelling girl, I point at some flotation devices in Hampshire's gym thingy and make some silly comment about them looking funny there (Katie accurately pointed out later when I told her this story, that my comment really was about as laugh worthy as the yelling girl's exclamations).

Anyway, this "Yasmine" character gets on the bus and goes up with the little group to our left. Yelling girl retells what has happened at length, obviously looking for a confrontation. "Yeah, I was really happy to see you Yasmine, I was like, 'Look, there's Yasmine!' and these girls laughed like I was retarded or something..." blah blah blah, blah blah blah... Uhm... So we're sitting there trying to act natural and talk about anything but yelling girl & "Yasmine," as we pull into Amherst College's bus stop. Yelling girl and her crew get off at the same stop (I think they'd have gotten off wherever we got off). J. & I de-bus at the back door & are walking past yelling girl as she says "Yeah, you're going to make a lot of friends that way, have a nice day, a real nice day." I'm like... thanks... yeah... We get past them and she's still talking to our backs "But you know what really bothers me is that you can't even face me and look me in the eyes. What's the matter?" So we turn around, and she gets right up in our faces.

The dialogue at this point is really out of control. Yelling girl's obviously got some anger management issues & is demanding apologies & nastily commenting on any attempt to diffuse the tension a little and explain ourselves. I'm having a bubble moment, only not a good one. It's more a bubble moment of the "Oh sh*t, this is really happening, and I have no idea what to do" variety. My plan? Try to cry. I'm giving her the serious sad looks & stuttering over everything but I can't really get worked up enough to get waterworks (I know, letting her win, but hell, she could have kicked my butt). Meanwhile she's jumping around like a freaking boxer demanding an apology and giving us the crazed "I'm a rabid dog and I want to attack" looks. We eventually mutter out a sorry and just flee the scene. Plan for next time: Run like hell. Much more funny & graceful way to escape the situation.

So there you go, that is The Story of Yelling Girl.

Uhm, on to the rest of the day. Dinner was great, and the place adorable & fun. Dancing in the car I need practice on, but I tried... Back on campus I had the roommate starter kit things to do with the first years, and then planning for the hall committee on-duty schedule. Then I headed over to Blanchard for food (free so of course I went, must take advantage of board plan). After, I went to D. Becky's room to try to heal her back with my amateur back massaging skills. That was good, I felt much more relaxed after talking with her & seeing that she was, you know, not in a body cast or anything.

Back in the dorm some random Chicopee guy Imed me and I got sucked into a little, er, conversation. Even from my naive view I think I can safely say he just wanted sex. So I took a shower very disillusioned & lonely feeling. No tengo ninguno principe azul. Pienso que sere sola por... siempre! Por siempre siempre? It's kind of silly. I have wonderful friends around me & all sorts of great people, but a couple of bad encounters just left me feeling... bad. Hard transition to single life. This is really the first time I've been single in my adult life and it's, well, scary. What if I don't meet anyone? Am I going to end up with like 50 cats & a sleeping pill habit? Sorry, I was trying to give things a comical twist but, well, it IS lonely. I guess I just need to wait till school starts and I don't have a free moment to remember that it's lonely. Heck, I should be reading right now. Ok, enough blog for tonight, I had to record The Story of Yelling Girl quickly though before I forgot anything essential.

No comments: