Thursday, October 09, 2003

Dog sitting... it's always rather amazing to suddenly have an entire house at your disposal. Last night Dale came with me and I did laundry & showered. I filled out stuff for Verbosity's registration with Student Programs, and my proposal for a non-credit course during J-term (which I would teach) on creative writing. The whole goal with that goes back to my grad-school hopes -- if I can't get into a good one that helps financially (a lot), and I end up somewhere like U of O, then I'm going to need teaching experience to get a fellowship starting my first year. So yeah... maybe a little practice. Plus I'd enjoy trying out the teacher role for a change...

Got to bed rather late as I actually did my Art History reading... At 7 am I looked out the windows and there was a thick fog all through the trees, and the combination of pea-soup atmosphere and fatigue led me to the decision that skipping yoga class would be a good idea. At 9 am this still seemed like a good decision, although I still dragged myself out of bed (not quite so tired though). It takes at least two hours for me to get ready for class, walk windy, and get to campus. Got to Art History at exactly 5 till 11. The fog had burned off by the time class was over, and I had my ultra healthy granola bar with odwalla fruit smoothie for lunch (d becky was rather disgusted by this).

After, I walked both Kobe and Newton. Kobe found a neighbor in her garden and was awarded with dog biscuits. Newton & I explored the strange forest trail near his house, although I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to be on that trail or not... Anyway, it was interesting. Had to turn back at one point, as I was worried we had wandered off the main path... there are numerous "take-off" trails that eventually come back to the main one, I think... Newton looks rather like a muppet when he gets excited.

Good news: Verbosity does appear to have funding! The English Department secretary had overheard Prof. Hill talking about this, that the budget was the "same as last year." Introduced myself & asked for info. about Nostos's contact person, would like to use the same publisher as them this year. Then I went to Student Programs to turn in our little registration form... still waiting to see if we want fleet and copy cat accounts. Good news, Laura, we're official!!!

My library search wasn't terribly fruitful. No "fecund darkness" in the journal shelves. Did find one book on DHL's "bestiary" and an online article about Ursula's horses. Hmmm. I hope those will be sufficient to get me started on my essay.

About time for me to head back to Windy's house now... will update later...

No comments: