Thursday, October 16, 2003

"And when you get off that plane, you're going to be scared, and if you're not, you shouldn't be there." - great quote from Mr. Sullivan, the founder of the travel award I'm a semi-finalist for. The award dinner was, in a word, long. 3.5 hours long. The past recipients talked, talked, talked... I wasn't bored, but I did have to leave at some point for the ladies' room. And the food was horribly lackluster. Regular iceberg lettuce salad mix, rice I recognized from the dining hall fare, mushy chicken cordon bleu, cold and unremarkable french apple pie (or something like that).

So we're all nervous for the interviews tomorrow. They said to "be creative." Uhm... I have postcards & brochures from the '60s when my grandmother took out a loan to take a trip to Europe with my grandfather who was going for business. But I don't know... what does one do in such a situation? I was nervous enough talking this evening in front of everyone. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about it at all so my nerves can't build up... maybe I should do some yoga or something tomorrow?

Took a nice walk with a very clean Newton, I think he must have been to the groomer's. Tried to take a nap but my phone rang twice... I about fell asleep in art history class, but perked up halfway through when Prof. Staiti said something funny and my mind was finally engaged. Partly tired due to a late night conversation with Mum, round about 2 am we were talking about vacuums, here are some excerpts (haha now that you know how to read this Mum, it's not so sneaky to quote you):

SITA3783: Oh, I will send you another little package soon.
SITA3783: I got a real deal today on a favorite of yours
Pink Poodledog: haha uh oh, I'm going to be gaining weight this year ;-)
Pink Poodledog: hmmm... I'd wager a guess at corn nuts? hehe
SITA3783: jeez. well I guess I bought the right thing then, you guessed it!!
Pink Poodledog: hahahaha
Pink Poodledog: no, I was definitely wanting some, and at the store they finally have them, but no plain flavored ones :-(

and then:

SITA3783: I just bought a indiglo watch on eby for 13.00
SITA3783: brand new timex

and of course:

SITA3783: then I was thinking of going for a rug nozzle for my rainbow vac. exciting huh?

Sorry Mum, but, it was pretty funny that you tried to buy a vacuum part on ebay... =)

And here's a quote from Prof. Staiti, remembered especially for Lindsey, who showed me the Rococo painting "The Swing" by Fragonard in high school when she took a correspondence art history course (I specifically remember that painting and the spooky figures in shadow!):

Prof. Staiti: "And look, who's this pushing the swing? The local priest! Sure, why not? What a capital idea!"

No comments: