Friday, May 28, 2004

Wednesday Night: Mer really wanted to do something, so we went to Laurance Lake before dinner. It was raining, I think that sums up most of the scenery. Spring everywhere and rain constantly. We wandered around eating the snacks Mum packed us (fruit and cheese), and laughing at how ridiculous the situation was. No one was up there, except one kid fishing and a gold van with people honking and yelling (kind of freaked me out, I was extra sneaky while picking bear grass for Mum on account of them driving around and making so much noise). I picked a lovely bouquet, although Mer complains that the bear grass smells like salty playdough. We walked along the gravel road (the lake kind of looked like pictures of Loch Ness, all misty and raining and gray). We were lucky and saw a pika scampering between rock hideouts.

Thursday: Mum & I visited Mary Marker, and then headed off to clean. Mrs. Marker was interested in my England plans, and suggested January as a better deal. We also visited to see Mrs. Marker's yellow room, to see if I'd like the color. I've decided that my room in the new house should be a golden yellow color. I think it'll look nice with the skylight and a white ceiling.

Anyways, I helped clean with Mum, and then we headed off to town. We visited Arlene for awhile (she seems to think May for England for better weather). Also got some yummy cheesecake (ahh lovely cheesecake...)

After dinner (lasagna, as Mum thought we should have that before I left), we watched Moulin Rouge. I'd never seen it before. Rather enjoyed it.

Today: Crazy that I'm leaving at like 4 am for the airport tomorrow morning. Packed all morning. Damned weight limits! Airlines are such a damned hassle with all these regulations. Honestly, the job description to work in the Mount Holyoke College Mail services requires us student workers to be capable of lifting 70 pounds. Surely people working for airlines can lift more than 50 (because I can, and I'm not a very muscular person). Anyways. That took a long time.

Went up to Whistlestop for ice cream. Me and Mer had bubble gum for old time's sake. Mer says, "the ice cream that keeps on giving" (as you get gum after you finish the ice cream, provided you set the gum aside and do not try to eat and chew at the same time (which is really tricky and not worth the trouble)). Saw Shannon, who's lucky and gets to work there! I'd love to work around ice cream... yum. It was still raining, naturally. So the Lost Lake idea was temporarily abandoned.

Once we got back home, it was sunny for a bit, and we reconsidered the lake idea. We did it! And I'm glad we did, it was a blast. We hiked to the dock in the rain, and it started hailing. The lake is just as pretty in the rain as in the sun. And we had the trail all to ourselves. The dock was about flooded out the lake was so swollen. On the way back I decided that I had had enough of sidestepping puddles and taking detours straight through wet foliage, so I gave up. I ran through puddles, straight through the deepest parts. It was rather like wading in the lake on a sunny day. Only it was in puddles and it was raining.

On the way home I refused to sit in my completely soaked pants, so I traveled home sin los pantalones. Which was fine, until I wanted to run out of the car and pick some rhodedendrons (I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling of that). Luckily no one came down the road.

Bright, full rainbow as we drove back. Saw a ringneck pheasant in an orchard. And of course the long horned cows were near enough the fence for us to stop and watch them for awhile. Mer couldn't take pictures: we were both out of batteries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing shelter. I stumbled on to your porst about this post and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing shelter and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Becky...Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing shelter. I stumbled on to your porst about this post and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing shelter and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Becky...Cheers!