Monday, February 23, 2004

So I went to Junior Show rehearsal after dinner, and quickly realized that not only was everything backed up half an hour, but I couldn't get much work done sitting in an uncomfortable chair listening to people blabber. So I left. And then there was a fire drill in my dorm. Woo-hoo! Ok time for a digression: Why do we have fire drills? We don't take roll outside so we would never know if someone was totally deaf and needed assistance. And how would "practicing" the "escape" help anyone get out of the dorm? Don't we all know how to get out of the dorm already? And if we don't already know, are we really going to learn? Isn't it pretty instinctual to run out of a building when there are ear piercing shrieks (aka alarms) and flashing lights and, in the event of a real fire, fire and smoke? And don't tell me that they're practicing to make sure the alarms can, in fact, function; they could just as easily test that without the students being in the dorm. Basically, if you don't know how to get out of a burning building by this time, there's nothing that's gonna teach you.

So back to the story. I read, I doze, I listen to music. I don't really feel like going back out for junior show rehearsal, but I go anyway. I get there, and Tobe tells us we can all leave. So we're like, wtf? We just walked all the way over here and they're telling us to go back? But it turned out cool, because Alexis, Lindsay of the Philosophy Department, and myself, were walking down from Chapin when I brought up that we'd all be in classes together. Lindsay, I realized later, was in both Phil 100 and Eng 200 with me, and Alexis was in Phil. with us. So we chatted for awhile and it was really cool, because those first people that I met in classes my first year made such a big impression on me. And Lindsay liked Karen C-K, too! We must have been the only two... even though that was an awesome class.

So now I'm back in my room again... Argh, how am I going to write this paper for Friday?

No comments: