Monday, July 28, 2003

This last weekend we went to the beach, it was lovely but rather chilly. Now that I'm back home, enduring a 100+ day, I rather miss the cool winds. The night before we left me and Mer went to the sand traps and decided we need to go back there sometime with floaties. It's the farthest you can go upstream on the ditch before you reach rocks and rapids too extreme to float over...

On the drive to the coast we went through Portland for Craft Warehouse and Joanne's Fabrics, and I bought supplies for my room decoration project (which I finished today, reacquainting myself with a needle and thread... you'll see it if you visit my room next semester). Then on to McMinneville, where I bought a couple of tops and "going out jeans." We visited Linfield, which Mer liked, and I liked... I'd almost choose to be there, except I do like that I'm visiting a totally new region by going to MHC, and taking advantage of 5 colleges' libraries.

Well, we shopped, ate lots of fast food (oh, and while waiting at KFC we discovered that Macaroni and Cheese is a vegetable), and of course visited the beach. Mer was enchanted with the seals that swim close to shore and sometimes sun themselves. I was just plain cold and windblown. Had some beautiful sunsets and comical Scrabble matches. On the way home we went to Newport for the Oregon Aquarium. Leafy seahorses look like something out of a fantasy story. The sea otters had put a big crack in their glass from throwing rocks against it. The octopus was pretty well hidden. The walk through fish and shark tanks were completely disorienting, I had weird dizzy feelings looking above and around and under me at sharks.

Then we started on the whirlwind, car sickeningly long trip home. We went through Monmouth to eat and to see Western Oregon University. Dried up little town with a lush little campus. OSU was nicer looking to my tastes, I guess if I can't get into a more highly rated English program, I'll end up there? Hard telling. There were actually guys walking, biking around, mostly of a nice friendly looking variety. Times I wish I wasn't at a women's college...

Well, as I said, I had my sewing project today. I'll just leave it at that for now... I barbecued the hamburgers, my first grill cooking experience. Woo-hoo, cancerous cooking.

Going to be "record breakingly hot" tomorrow? All for now.

No comments: