Monday, August 25, 2003

Here's what my day was like.

I woke up at a quarter to 8 in the morning, got myself dressed & presentable, & met my hall committee downstairs. As a group we walked to our first day of training. This will go on for the rest of the week. We had breakfast & chatted, and then listened to Liz Braun talk about the expectations and responsibilities of Res. Life. Someone from the fin. aid department talked next. Then it was on to talking about how to create an inclusive community. A short break, more about the inclusive community building, and then lunch. I ate quickly and hauled over another backpack & duffel load of stuff (from abbey to pearson's). Picked up my mail box key & returned to training at 1:30. For half an hour we discussed community planning (I think in quad groups). Then the returning staff left, and just us Pearson's quad newbies talked about anxieties & uncertainties we have about the job. Another break, during which I saw something that looked like a large frog in the stream, and the blue heron, perched towards the opposite bank (earlier I saw a cardinal! positive id!). For the next hour we discussed programming events & tried some out ourlseves (mingle mingle mingle to the cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-CHA beat & tossing a ball with questions on it...) Each hall committee then broke up for meetings. We had quite a long one & luckily Cindy gave us the perfect slogan, borrowed from The Olive Garden: "Pearson's: When you're here you're family." Frankly I was all out of ideas and enthusiasm until that came up and we started building on it. So at about 6 we had dinner together, then headed back to the dorm. At 7:30 we all went shopping for floor activity supplies and dorm decorating materials. Got home around 10, did my laundry, showered, hung my laundry, and now here I am again, at my computer. Wow. So now you all know why I'm not going to be online much! Good to stay busy though... and it'll only get busier, really. I hope my floor works out well, I don't want to write too many people up for drinking...

More later, but it's about time to sleep, I was tired this evening!

No comments: