Monday, August 11, 2003

Early this morning we moved out of the latest house sitting job, and then I came home and slept. Mer & I visited Dad in the afternoon, and wandered around Hood River. Saw Katie S., which made me happy, I love seeing people from high school. We toured the remodeled library, lots of new windows overlooking the river. Much improved. It's basically unrecognizable on the inside...

Yesterday I had two run-ins with past teachers. These encounters always leave me all warm and fuzzy, I just adored my teachers. First we visited Mrs. Jackson because Mer's housesitting for her family-- we had a long wonderful talk with her, and at intervals her son (who I remember from the preschool group!) Mrs. J was my English lit. teacher junior year, I loved that class... where I first learned that the Angles, Jutes, & Saxons invaded England... We talked about college, where Mer should go, being on a res. life staff... how exciting the "college years" can be... how I'm an English major (thanks to Mrs. J & Mrs. R)...

Then we went blueberry picking in the evening (we had a coral reef sunset, and the hills were pink) at Mr. Nelson's farm-- my science teacher 8th grade. Wow. And I told him I had just been talking with Lindsey about those projects we did on "anything related to science that we wanted to research." Lindsey did hers on a horse disease I think, and I did mine on dreams... so I recited what I remember from it, about sleep deprivation research going on at the Mt. Sinai Hospital in NY in 1952... REM stages and all that. He graduated high school in NJ, and knew some gals who headed to MHC. Not many people recognize the Mount Holyoke name, so it's always very cheering to find someone who says "oh, that's a good school!" Always warm and fuzzy to hug your teachers and assure them you, well, "turned out ok."

This evening Mer & I walked to the meadow, here are highlights: a bunny waiting to get a drink from the ditch, two huge hornet nests, a new house going up on the other side.

No comments: