Monday, June 30, 2003

Hm. Last night I started watching the Caesar miniseries on TNT. During commercials I flip around, and last night I came upon a documentary from what looked to be the 60s or 70s, about these pandas in China. I tuned in just in time to see "Lulu" come into heat and attempt (unsuccessfully) to mate. No wonder the damn things are endangered, the female is only in heat for freaking 1 to 3 days a year and the pandas can't figure out how to copulate. "If the male panda doesn't mate with Lulu soon, it'll be too late, she'll only be ovulating a couple more hours this year." Wtf??

Other evidence of nature's failings: Pomeranian chickens. Yes, they look and feel just like little furry dogs. But they cluck. Mer's taking care of a couple of these examples of a doomed species at her housesitting job, the former King Charles Cavalier Spaniel breeder's place. Beautiful huge gardens with roses. But these chickens are really a freak show. There's a weird top knotted rooster that has the most annoying crow, along with these Pomeranian Chickens. The PCs have fur on their feet. We saw them try to, uh, reproduce, too. I was just asking Merrie how chickens actually reproduce, and it's not like fish with the egg laying and then the sperm spraying on the eggs. Oh no, chickens do it. And it looks ridiculous, especially because of the toy dog connection.

There is also a turkey, which clacks incessantly until you think you're going batty. If you clack back, it switches to a high pitched barking, and if you imitate THAT, the turkey just tries to drown you out. I think I finally scared it off though when I screamed "Don't f--- with me, turkey!" I hope that thing ends up on a basting pan come that Thursday in Nov.

Tomorrow I clean this house, and get ready to move in with Mer... she's a little lonely I think. But a cat there had kittens so she's happy. They're two weeks old and still crawling around. For some reason I thought they'd be bigger and more mobile.

Well I'm off to finish watching this show, the only way I learn about ancient history seems to be from tv.

No comments: