Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Rode a bike today for the first time in, well, years. That should be good for me, my legs are prone to being out of proportion. Mom and Tim were running about to make the damn thing ride-able. The tires were flat and the seat needed to be let down (not a tall girl here). Helped Mom make dinner, as I apparently am expected to know how to cook by the time I hit the ages I already hit. No pasta in wine sauces yet from this girl. Tim's more the uh, meat and potatoes sort without the potatoes, if you know what I mean. Basically, we eat a lot of meat in this house. Not very Hobokenite-like (did I say that right?) So I'm, er, accustomed to, uh, "roast beast" in big pots and you know, bear sausage and such Oregonian fare. And yes, we are now eating bear sausage. Killed in Canada and made into sausage right here in the valley, quite the culinary feat. Yes, we live by cows that we later eat when the neighbors slaughter them. Merrie skins raccoons and muskrats and collects antlers of any deer you never heard of.

Off of that tangent now, I think I'm going to sleep. Stopped reading tonight after the intro. to the rocket-capital. I think I was supposed to have read The Scarlet Letter by like the 25th, umm... the day after tomorrow? Oopsy- -

Oh. Tim and Mom came home today with a new idea: let's have the girls buy a house! Yes folks, a house, with landlords ("landladies" makes us sound like we're 70 and don't speak much English) of 20 & 17 years of age. And although they have a point, we must be realistic. What dope would give us a loan big enough to cover a house? Oh well, just another interesting scheme to "get us started out right." No one seems too excited about my "I hope to find a grad school that will take me so I can continue in English and not teach 1st graders how to read" pleas, no, but they do get excited over possible careers as a psychiatrist, landlord of half the valley, or real estate agent. I've about given up.

Oh! Speaking of teaching first graders (haha, sorry Mer), I was helping Merrie with her math program today. She misplaced the Algebra 1 cd so we plunged into Algebra 2 and quickly lost both of us. I never learned rules for radicals so we had to uhm, skip those. Factoring is still ingrained, though. Interesting future study for math majors: what mathematical skills do we lose first...

Ok promise I'll stop now (I just started the fourth "paragraph" starting in O's). If anyone actually reads this, feel free to skip these sorts of entries esp. And I'm not spell checking this so lovers of proper spelling may now commence the "and she's an ENGLISH major?!" cracks. Hm. Which even Mer occassionally likes to make. Ahh that's another story, later.

No comments: