Sunday, June 29, 2003

And further adventures in the life.... Yesterday Mom sent Mer back here with all sorts of food for us, garden lettuce and salad makings, chicken, corn, fruit, etc. I planned on cooking later, Mer was outside, I was inside looking for Super Mario World Switch Palaces, when the background hum of the house went dead. First thing I noticed was the tv and the clock on top were out, so I was looking for switches and the power strip behind the entertainment stand... couldn't figure that out. Realized all the other electrical appliances were off (except my computer, since it was on batteries, very confusing if you assume because that's on the electricity is working). Mer and I assumed it was a circuit problem, and since the Fosters mentioned that all that stuff was in the barn we went over and flipped circuit breakers or something, couldn't make anything work though. Phone was out too, naturally. So we decided to drive over to see if Mom knew how to fix it. Got over there, found out the power was out there, too. Sat and talked awhile, Tim threw around paranoid suggestions of dams being bombed by terrorists, etc., to cause the power outage.

But, nothing so dire actually happened. The power came back after an hour, and me and Mer were on our happy way again. I made a pasta based sorta deal for dinner, with chicken and tomoatoes and broccali sauteed over it with olive oil. No wine sauces, however, as there was only dessert sherry in the cupboards. I needed something more explicit, like, "cooking wine" to feel safe using it in anything. That'll have to come later when I'm, er, 21.

Mom joined us for a lunch of what she likes to refer to as Fresh Fruit Frenzy. Basically sherbet with fruit. Anyhow, we had all sorts of difficulties with Snooks, as Pepper the dog took an instant disliking to the shaking and neurotic cocker spaniel. I bodily dragged the cocker out of the house. Mom walked around to admire the gardens and the "layer hens." Upon coming back in, the sherbet from the FFFs was still sitting and melting on the counter.



No comments: