Saturday, June 21, 2003

"To begin my blog with the beginning of my blog"? I'm tired of using telnet to keep in touch, so I'm selling out and using blogspot. I told myself I wasn't going to do this, but, here I am. I just can't handle that I have to manually move the little cursor if I want to edit something in telnet, and then all the spacing is screwed beyond my patience. Well, I don't want to actually start at the beginning of my life on this thing, so here's today, or, well, yesterday according to my computer:

Got up kinda late. That's normal though. Helped Mom clean, also normal. Read some, ate some, watched the "top songs of the last 25 years" on VH1, didn't agree with them. I thought Van Halen's "Jump" was often voted onto people's top "NEVER LISTEN TO THIS SONG" lists, yet it was in the top 20 on VH1. Someone's taking bribes, because "Jump" is not better than "Crash" or "With or Without You."

Discovered a whole site dedicated to Pynchon today. Alphabetical lists to explain allusions to, er, everything. They even covered that Potempkin fellow, one of the few allusions I "got" because I had this book, Strange but True, that I often wasn't quite convinced told me the truth, that explained, in kiddy-watered-down-language, how this Potempkin fooled his supposed lover (oh, but not using that word of course) with a bunch of sand palaces and hired dancers into thinking he improved some land. Seemed like a lot of trouble for one little trip. Probably could have put the same amount of effort and money into actually improving the place. Any-who, someday I'll finish this book. I'm up to like the 600s in page numbers, but that doesn't make you feel that much better when you still have about 250 to go. I don't even know how to read this, let alone write something like it.

In further news, Barnes and Noble actually trusted me with a credit card, line of credit $1,000. Ha! It's 0% APR till next year, and all that fun stuff, supposedly no annual fees, etc. I canceled the last one after being told there were no annual fees, just a member fee that, well, gee, occurred annually! In becky-speak, that means "annual fee," but you know how you need a glossary just to read those credit card agreements? I guess that's what they were hiding behind, very carefully constructed definitions. So I'm hoping that Barnes and Noble, as a bookseller, as a distributor of dictionaries even (for heaven's sake), will not allow their name to be put on a credit card which encourages the systematic misuse of words.

There's a raccoon outside, waiting to be relocated. It huffed at me. Oh the things you'll see! in our backyard. It's kinda late now, and I'm feeling kinda guilty that I am somehow unable to finish this book in a timely manner. Definitely a "pre-reading." Maybe in a decade I'll understand it better?

Signing off for now, cute little blogspot website,
-becky

No comments: