Monday, March 08, 2004

It was soooo hard to get back into work this morning! I had the best birthday since I was like five and was insanely excited over everything (so I can't really compete with that, even when I do have lovely times!) So here's a day by day description in case I leave out important details when asked in person!

Friday: Sooo busy! I had to walk Kobe, go to a meeting for the prospective professors in the english dept., work in the mail center, hand papers in, go to class, watch a movie for post colonial lit, and eat dinner! Then I needed some aspirin before watching The Last Unicorn with the ESB and friends down in the living room. It was wildly successful! Andrew caught the latter half of it, I think he found the pirate cat going "oh purr, purr, that be nice" pretty funny. Then we headed off to Blanchard for food and ice cream. We ran into Thomasena and all talked (about such topics as the strange relationship between the spooky talkative guy in the convenience store and the woman with the hats that checks you out at blanchard). Back in the dorm, I finally put my clothes away! They'd been sitting on my drying rack for awhile...

Saturday: Eventful day! We got up at a decent hour and went to Blanchard for food, then walked over to the greenhouse for the flower show. It was gray and sprinkling most of the day. Inside the greenhouse though was so so much better than outside. Daffodils and tulips and a mini golf course lined with flowers, squat citrus fruit bearing trees, every kind of cactus (some that looked like piles of mothballs), plants sprouting out of every crevice and tree trunk...

After, we went to the Big Y and I got some provisions (ie, a lindt white chocolate bar and triple chocolate cookies). Then we played scrabble (which was not fun toward the end when I was losing by 90 some points!!) What else... then we went to Fresh Side and brought back food, and had a lovely quiet dinner sitting on my bed. Then I was lounging about in my sweat pants while Andrew was on the computer, when the door burst open and Julia, Korisha, Beth, Lindsay, and Dale came in with a cake all on fire with candles! I was totally surprised, I had no idea Andrew was planning this with them! So I blew out all the candles (in one try!), and we scraped together enough plates and silverware for us all to eat raspberry chocolate cheese cake! Yum =) Then we all got ready for the V8s jam, which was good and fun -- the guys group was soo dorky though! They sang "Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego" and wore jeans and ties.

There was an after party in Pearsons, which was kinda cool, it was a real college party with beer and guys and dancing. I got shoved into the middle of a dancing circle, proceeded to stand still a moment, and then ran back to the safety of the edges =) Becky is not a dancer unless she is either in a coordinated dance skit on stage or is tipsy! Dale, Andrew, & I ended up going to the Amherst Brewing Company at like, 20 till midnight, for my first legitimate bar experience. The guy actually made me wait the one minute till midnight before letting me in! I had a cosmopolitan and was soon tipsy. Dale and I danced a little, and Andrew laughed at us. Then we ate yummy pizza and drove back to MHC =) Wonderful perfect day!

Lucky me, I also got to open presents since it was officially after midnight =) Mum found good things -- now I have fun reading for over spring break!! Also a watch, in Tiffany blue, so I won't be late anymore!! And Andrew found the perfect necklace to match my tastes in clothes and earrings =) AND I am going to subject EVERYONE to watching The Last Unicorn on DVD with me! (Andrew found it, and who knows, maybe they'll have developed little games to go on the DVD, too... like the unicorns fighting the red bull!)

Also got to sleep at a decent hour so we woke up earlier Sunday morning!

Sunday: Went to Blanchard for brunch, then Andrew & I took an adventurous road trip!! We went to Greenfield and Shelburne Falls and saw all sorts of cool stuff. Lots of backyard businesses between here and Greenfield, a rare books store, and Richardson's candy shop, and glass blowing (Andrew's seriously going to end up quitting the computer science field in order to make vases and bowls.) Geological wonders = pits where rocks carved bowls out of other rocks. Took pictures, and had tea and coffee and a good maple walnut scone. It was sunny but still kinda cold. We wandered around in Greenfield before the falls, looking at DVDs and books (America 24/7, very absorbing to flip through it). Got hungry rather early, so we had an early dinner in Noho. Spoleto's, which was totally new, I had a sculpture made out of shrimp and risotto (is that how it's spelled?) and vegetables. And we got home at an early hour!!

I ate more cheesecake Sunday night =) And we started a movie but it was too sad and I was laughing at all the wrong moments. So I spruced stuff up a bit, and talked to Mom, Mer, & Tim on the phone, and then we lounged about and showered. Good quiet evening after such a busy day!!

Today: I was having withdrawal! I eventually pulled myself through it by writing my Spanish essay and doing some reading. Then had lunch (I wasn't hungry but it was enjoyable to just sit and talk with everyone) and classes... I read the wrong selection for Spanish, but it didn't matter because only like 1-3 people had done the reading since there was a presentation for one group to do today and a paper due for all of us!! Also had the English Department meeting to present our findings on prospective professors. Before dinner I sat and read birthday cards, it was definitely a highlight of the day =) It was snowing today, it was a little crazy. But I'd rather have snowflakes falling on me than rain!

Lindsey: I love the scarf!! And it's the perfect shade of purple, I'm going to match my entire room =) And yay for Strawberry Shortcake, maybe the third generation will look like the ORIGINAL S.S.!!

It was a lovely birthday, thanks everyone!! =)

No comments: